Education . Educational Programs
There are three educational programs within our school. Each program supports the Learner’s unique sensory, social/emotional and academic needs. Think of our three programs on a developmental continuum with Empower learners requiring the least amount of support, Strengthen learners requiring a mid-level support and Nurture learners requiring the highest amount of support. We have described the programs below and are happy to share more information with you in a call, email or visit.
Empower Educational Program
Learners in the Empower Educational Program demonstrate reoccurring skills, greater independence and are able to thrive in a variety of environments.
- Learner is generally regulated sensory-wise, and engaged within the school environment.
- Learner is able to transition with minimal support between activities and learning blocks.
- Over time, the Learner will expand sensory and emotional experiences while maintaining engagement with others across a wide range of relationships, experiences and environments both within the school and broader community settings.
- Project-based learning:
- Learner can remain engaged in broader and multi-faceted projects that may span several weeks to a few months.
- Learner is starting to initiate project plans and think through steps of the project prior to implementing.
- Learner is beginning to initiate, plan and carry through on their schedule, projects and customized learning opportunities. These projects and opportunities may include connecting and collaborating with businesses and/or community organizations with support from a Learning Guide.
- Opportunities for entrepreneurial projects are encouraged and Learner is supported in pursuing business ideas with guidance from Learning Guides and other resources within the school and community.
- Learner is able to show greater independence when working on academics including working for longer stretches of time and engaging in some problem solving on own before asking for help.
- Learner shows initiation to expand learning based on topics of interest discovered in core subject work.
- Learner can work in a group of three tofive peers to one Learning Guide.
- Learner is exploring and planning for future that may include technical school, trades, volunteer work, internships, employment, military or college
Strengthen Educational Program
Learners in the Strengthen Program are moving toward greater independence when provided with customized learning opportunities (tools, strategies, experiences, relationships, environments, etc.)
- Social-emotional: Learner may need sensory system support and co-regulating to help them begin to understand how they are feeling and how to express and work through those feelings.
- Project-based learning:
- With support from Learning Guide (teacher), Learner engages in Project-Based Learning.
- Learning opportunities focus on building and expanding relationships and expanding a focus on the “how” and “why” to positively support problem solving.
- Learner may come up with project ideas and may collaborate with Learning Guide to co-create the Project Plan.
- Academics focus on filling in the gaps in each subject area so the Learner moves forward with confidence and a solid foundation.
- Learner is capable of working in a group of two to three Learners to one Learning Guide
- Learner beginning to develop the capacity to work with greater independence with support from Learning Guide.
Nurture Educational Program (Limited availability)
The Nurture Program is designed to provide significant support and guidance for Learners who are acquiring new skills and abilities and need predictable routines and environments. Learning needs predominantly include: co-regulation of sensory and emotional experiences and academic learning centers on interest driven activities and/or projects that incorporate core subject practices in math, reading, science and social studies that are developmentally appropriate. Half day and full day programs are available on a very limited basis. Tuition is based on the specific needs and assessed on an individualized basis.
- Social-emotional: Learner needs significant support with sensory and emotional co-regulation. Learner needs predictable routines and a predictable environment with significant support consistently required during transitions throughout the day.
- Project-based learning: Structured yet interest-driven projects are offered with ongoing significant support throughout the project.
- Academics: Significant support is given and developmentally appropriate core subject skills are practiced primarily in a functional manner applying them within Learner’s daily routine, interests and activities.